Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Week 1

I think that in this class, we study really interesting topics. The discussions on marriage and how marriage is changing is so relevant to us, especially as members of the Church. The reading for class today was interesting because it gave so many statistics on marriage and what the trends throughout the world on marriage are starting to look like. I think that it is really important for us to learn and know about these things so we can be aware of the people and their situations around us.

I was married at age 19 (normal in BYU-I culture, but super rare in the world) and I have some non-member, very liberal cousins and aunts and uncles. When they all found out that I was getting married after only being in college for 1 year, they were shocked! One of my uncle's has been divorced 3 times and he would tell me that my marriage would probably end up how his previous marriages had been. I heard so much talk of how I should date him longer and not rush into anything. It was a hard time in my life because I knew what I was doing was right and my immediate family was supportive, but it was just hard to hear people talking about me in that way.

I love being part of a church were we believe in families are eternal and there is no end. That is such a comforting thing and it really gives you faith to move past other people's opinions. I'm excited to learn more about families and how we can achieve wonderful families in this wicked world.

No comments:

Post a Comment